Friday, January 24, 2014

My name is Kristen and I am a sophomore in history and anthropology. I wanted to take this class since I have always been interested in living a healthy lifestyle and enjoy learning about what a healthy lifestyle would look like. I also believe this course will come at these aspects from a new angle and am looking forward to seeing what evolutionary medicine can show about our current healthcare situation. I like to be able to look at what works and what doesn’t work and see if there are new techniques for medicine.
                This Blog examines “biological complexity and evolution” and explains these concepts while also looking at what society thinks about these concepts.
                This blog discusses how to eat healthier, exercise better and how to achieve personal goals in these areas.
                This blog is by Dr. Len and he discusses cancer in general with different categories such as the different types of cancer, treatment and dietary choices.

                In this post Dr. Len talks about skin cancer, specifically basal and squamous cell cancers which are usually called benign cancer. Here though he argues these cancers should not just be referred to as benign since these are still serious cancers and need to be taken seriously in order for people to take precautions in order to prevent these cancers. I found this very relevant to my life personally since my great-grandpa, grandma, and dad have all had basal cell cancer. I just found out about this a few years ago and while I would put sunscreen on, I never thought it was a big deal when I didn’t reapply or wouldn’t go sit in the shade when the sun is at its peak hours. I think this was partly that no one I know really takes this seriously and my dad downplayed this cancer since it is not like other aggressive cancers and so that I would not be worried about him. I think I will definitely make sure I am taking more precautions now, especially since Dr. Len gave his personal testimony of how these cancers are not fun to have removed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment